It’s Not About the Easter Bunny

ChurchLeaders | 1/27/2019 | Staff
Want to know something about me?

I’m not a fan of the Easter bunny.

Children - Ministry - Director - Easter - Bunny

As a Children’s Ministry Director, I do not bring the Easter bunny into any event we do. I just don’t believe that my job is to teach the kids at church about a fake bunny, or to decorate our halls with cute little Easter bunnies (or chicks for that matter). I can’t bring myself to do it.

Just the other day a friend sent me a text telling me she saw a sign that reminded her of me and my dislike of the Easter bunny. It said, “Silly rabbit…Easter is for Jesus!” I love that sign! Maybe I need to get one to hang up at church!

Kids - Kids - Church - Meaning - Easter

I believe in teaching my own kids and the kids in my church about the true meaning of Easter, which is Jesus dying on the cross for our sins. It’s not about some cute bunny hopping into our houses while we sleep to leave a basket of candy. It’s about the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

So where did the Easter bunny come from? I decided to look up the origin of the Easter bunny, just to make sure I wasn’t missing something and that it really did have some religious meaning. It doesn’t. None at all. Every site I visited said that it was a folklore, a legend that dates back to the Germans in the 15th Century. Much like with Santa, kids would leave out carrots hoping that the Easter bunny would replace it with candy. The Easter bunny has no religious meaning at all.

Time - Egg - Hunt - Year - Eggs

We began our time together with a traditional egg hunt. That year, though, I decided not to stuff the eggs. Not just for the easiness of it (although that was an added bonus), but because I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Governemnt sponsored segratation of America, one household at a time.
Tagged: