Former TUI pilot sues airline regulators for age discrimination

Mail Online | 1/26/2019 | Faith Ridler For Mailonline
TwiztedGurl (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/26/10/9012380-0-image-a-2_1548499450662.jpg

A former airline pilot is set to sue aviation regulators for age discrimination over strict EU rules that forced him to retire at 65.

Wayne Bayley, 66, retired in January last year due to strict rules that mean UK-registered pilots have to give up work before they are 65 - even if they are medically fit.

Lawyers - High - Court - Review - Civil

His lawyers have now applied to the High Court for a judicial review of the Civil Aviation Authority rules.

Mr Bayley - the first pilot to fly the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner from the UK to Barbados - is accusing the regulators of discrimination.

Former - TUI - Pilot - Mr - Bayley

Former TUI pilot Mr Bayley, from Horsham, Sussex, said: 'I am medically sound and seen as fit to fly.

'To me it is discrimination. I am just as eligible as anyone else and the CAA have not examined the issue. They haven't investigated at all.

'It - Tests - Age - Limit

'It is entirely arbitrary. I've passed the tests but can't fly based on a discriminatory age limit.

'The CAA say they have no jurisdiction because of the EU regulations. They do but the choose not to exercise it.'

Mr - Bayley - Grandfather-of-two - 'passion - Passengers

Mr Bayley, a grandfather-of-two, said it has been his 'passion' to fly passengers since he was just aged seven, and he got his pilot's licence in 1977.

The majority of his career was as a pilot with TUI - formerly Thompson - where he spent 27 years.

EU - Regulations - CAA

He didn't want to retire, but was forced to by strict EU regulations enforced by the CAA.

The CAA's rules are based on guidelines set by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), the body responsible for civil aviation safety in the EU.

CAA - EASA - Age - Limit - Pilots

Both the CAA and EASA enforce the upper age limit on pilots as recommended by The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), a UN agency.

But each country can either choose to accept or negotiate on its standards.

Countries

Ten non-EU countries,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
An enemy of death and destruction