Navigating through the Bible’s Shadow

Carl McColman | 1/26/2019 | Staff
finter (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/388/2019/01/bethany-laird-407583-unsplash.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/388/2019/01/bethany-laird-407583-unsplash-768x1152.jpg

One of this blog’s patrons named Aaron asked, in response to my post Nonduality in the Bible and Us:

Not sure if you’ve posted one before, but is there a resource that collects verses for the mystical and non dual in the Bible? Did you have a post that had more?

Passing - Thought - Post - Side - Bible

Also, this is just a passing thought. This post is beautiful in how it handles the non dual. But what about the shadow side of the Bible. The terrible things (god rejoices when the infants heads are dashed upon the rocks) or the very dualistic things (wives should submit to their husbands)? How should we as contemplativea treat such things? Should we only focus on the nondual and the beautiful loving parts of scripture (like a confirmation bias of sorts)? How can we still take the Bible as a whole with the terrible and downright evil in some cases and still be true to love and our contemplative practice? This has seriously prevented me from studying the Bible and doing lectio for years.

A quick answer to your first question: one of my dream projects is to compile a nondual guide or commentary to scripture. Since I am not a scripture scholar, it’s an overwhelming thought, but something like that needs to be put together. So unless someone beats me to it, I hope to make it happen — someday.

Question - Side - Bible - Aaron - Psalm

But on to the question about the shadow side of the Bible. Aaron mentioned Psalm 137:9 and Ephesians 5:22 — but there’s more where those came from. Indeed, a British newspaper a few years back published a list of the Top 10 Worst Bible Passages. In addition to infanticide and the subjugation of women, you can add genocide, slavery, the sanctioning of violence agains gay persons and psychics, and plenty more.

I think it...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Carl McColman
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I find it extremely funny when people keep voting and expecting the government to change!
Tagged: