Bible Used to Argue For and Against Guns in VA Churches

ChurchLeaders | 1/25/2019 | Staff
cobra662 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/VA_gun_churches.jpg

The Virginia Senate has approved a law allowing people to carry guns into their houses of worship.

“‘Blessed be the lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.’ That was from the Old Testament,” said Republican senator Charles “Bill” Carrico. “In the New Testament, … ‘When a strong man fully armed guards his own palace, his goods are in peace.’ Those places of worship where I tithe, where I give offerings, are that palace. And it’s my obligation and our right to defend it.”

Bill - Senate - Vote - Starkly - Party

So far the bill has only passed the Senate, with the vote starkly divided down party lines. Twenty-one Republicans voted in favor of it, and 19 Democrats opposed it. It should be up to each house of worship, Republicans maintained, to decide whether or not to allow guns in their services. Democrats, on the other hand, were concerned about the danger of bringing guns into a religious service.

Virginia law at present prohibits people from bringing any type of weapon into a house of worship while services are being held unless that person has “good and sufficient reason.” That wording is somewhat vague and complicates the application of the current law.

Arguments - Bill - People - Sides - Bible

Something interesting about the arguments either for or against the bill is that people on both sides have turned to the Bible to support their positions. Arguing against the bill, Democratic senator Lionell Spruill, Sr., said, “Psalm 46 said, ‘God is our refuge and strength.’ Now we are saying with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: