I Am the Night Just Can't Keep Up With Chris Pine's Killer Performance

TVGuide.com | 1/23/2019 | Krutika Mallikarjuna
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2018/12/17/75a093f4-c818-4708-b55f-2ea54fa6ed54/thumbnail/1300x867/5644e8436d54232b1b946a4c77688158/181218-chris-pine.jpg

After the bombastic debut of Wonder Woman, everyone and their mother was wondering what director Patty Jenkins' next project would be. In an unusual move, the in-demand director didn't leverage her way into dominating another multimillion-dollar franchise; she instead turned to TV for an intimate six-episode mini-series called I Am the Night. Based on One Day She'll Darken, the memoir of Fauna Hodel, the miniseries attempts to sew together true events with fictional characters and storylines to mixed success.

For those unfamiliar with Fauna Hodel's story, she is both the daughter and granddaughter of George Hodel, the Los Angeles plastic surgeon widely believed to be the infamous Black Dahlia killer. One of the most well-known unsolved true crime stories of American history, the Black Dahlia killer mutilated and arranged the bodies of his victims — always young, beautiful women — in surrealist, almost artistic tableaus that horrified and scintillated the American public. While rumors swirled around George Hodel, a case was never solidified against him because of his backhanded power deals with the LAPD. Notoriously known as the man who owned LA, George Hodel was only publicly accused of the murders by one person: his teenage daughter Tamar Hodel. In a wild turn of events, this accusation came out as part of a police investigation into a different crime George Hodel was accused of — raping his own daughter Tamar. After George was acquitted of incest charges in a highly publicized incest trial, Tamar disappeared to give birth to a baby girl, Fauna.

Show

Discover your new favorite show: Watch This Now!

In the loosest sense of the phrase, Tamar's mother (George's ex-wife) put Fauna up for adoption. Taken in by a black woman who was a preacher's wife, Fauna grew up believing she was mixed race and simply so light-skinned that she could...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!