NYT's Blow Compares Trump to David Duke, Says His Campaign Was 'Blue Print' For Present GOP

NewsBusters | 1/23/2019 | Staff
hi09 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/cnn_8.png

During Monday’s edition of Anderson Cooper 360, the eponymous host and his panel engaged in a lengthy discussion about whether or not President Trump was a racist. One of the panelists, Charles Blow of The New York Times, used his platform to compare President Trump to white supremacist David Duke, arguing that his unsuccessful bid to become Governor of Louisiana in 1991 served as a “blue print for how the present GOP is running on a policy level.”

The segment began with Cooper playing a clip of Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, one of several politicians using Martin Luther King Day as an excuse to smear President Trump as a racist. Jeffries called the President a “hater,” the “birther-in-chief,” and “the grand wizard of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.” Cooper asked Blow if he thought it was “appropriate for a sitting member of Congress to refer to the President as the grand wizard of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.” Blow responded, “I can’t object to that because I’ve referred to him as the grand wizard of birtherism myself.”

Debate - Blow - Partner - Steve - Cortes

The debate got quite contentious, with Blow accusing his sparring partner Steve Cortes of lying and essentially calling him a racist for supporting President Trump. According to Blow, “I believe that people who pretend not to see racism or defend racism, as Steve just did, are part of that racism, which I believe Steve is a part of that racism.”

The conversation ended with Cooper asking Cortes if it bothered him that “somebody like David Duke is such a supporter of the President and always, you know, giving him plaudits for the things he said.” Cortes responded in the affirmative: “of course it does. It bothers me when crazies support any legitimate political movement. So it bothers me that David Duke endorses the President. The President does not endorse him. It...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!
How's that peak oil working out for you?