Rebooting Your Calendar

YouthMinistry.com | 1/22/2019 | Tony Myles
newusr01 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://2e2kda1m9pm41j3ob93smm8e-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/upload/ymprod/Fixed-Communication-Cover-7420.jpg

My team was tired. And I couldn’t blame them, even though the fruits we saw from our ministry efforts were undeniably profound.

We’d just marched through a packed calendar of amazing, bridge-building events that attracted new teenagers to our ministry and a Bible study series that deepened the faith of our student leaders. Jesus must be pleased with the outcomes, and all our seed-planting efforts… right?

Gains - Losses - Team - Schedule - Families

Yet all those gains created losses on my team. Our “do it all” schedule strained them individually within their families. So we met to talk about what went wrong. We revisited our mission, our humanity, and our intentions. Out of those intense conversations, these truths surfaced:

1. Over-busyness is often rooted in good intentions. Some things just “work” in your ministry. A certain retreat or annual outreach event. A specific and time-honored “twist” in your program. A teaching series that always delivers.

Seat - Bus - Idea - Seats

When we try to find a “seat on the bus” for a new idea, we discover all the seats are already filled.

But as time goes on, we make the assumption that what always works should always be done again, over and over. Soon you’re locked into a rutted routine, closed to new vision.When we try to find a “seat on the bus” for a new idea, we discover all the seats are already filled. That meant we had to over-fill the seats to try anything new, because we refused to kick “old passengers” off the bus. That’s a recipe for wearing out your ministry team.

Calendar - Feels - Writing - World - Maxim

2. Editing your calendar is painful, and feels personal. In the writing world, there’s an old maxim for producing great work: “Murder your darlings.” It means you have to cut lines or phrases or paragraphs or even chapters that you love, for the sake of the whole. Self-editing feels like you’re killing...
(Excerpt) Read more at: YouthMinistry.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Aim and timing is evereything.
Tagged: