Coroner breaks down in tears as he tells heartbroken parents it was likely their son died a hero

Mail Online | 9/10/2018 | Terri-ann Williams For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/22/15/8841938-0-image-a-10_1548170836467.jpg

A coroner broke down in tears as he told the grieving parents of a university student that it was likely their son had drowned in a river trying to save someone he heard calling for help.

Primary Education student Tom Jones was last seen in Worcester city centre after making his way back to student accommodation after an evening out with his friends during freshers' week.

Audio - CCTV - Area - Faint - Sound

Audio from CCTV in the area picked up a faint sound of a person shouting for help and it is believed that the 18-year-old had followed the sound to the River Severn in order to help the person in distress.

Worcestershire Coroner Geraint Williams wept as he looked at a framed photograph of Tom, and told his parents it was likely their son died a hero.

Way - Home - Tom - Photo - Friends

On his way home, Tom had sent a photo to his friends at 3.45am on September 10 2018 and called saying he was two minutes away, but he never arrived.

Police launched a major search for Tom, who had moved from the small town of Bromsgrove to Worcester, just days earlier.

Education - Course - City - University - Friends

He was due to begin a Primary Education course at the city's university and had been out with friends when he disappeared.

Despite his family's desperate hopes for Tom to return unharmed, his body was found in the river on September 28.

Men - Suspicion - Murder - Charge

Two 20-year-old men were arrested on suspicion of murder but were later released without charge.

An inquest today, Tuesday 22 February heard Tom may have tumbled into the River Severn after responding to screaming coming from the riverbank.

Verdict - Mr - Williams - 'I - Job

Recording an open verdict Mr Williams said: 'I have been doing this job for 30 years and it still gets me, he's a good looking boy.

'He died in the River Severn in Worcester on September 19, 2018, in circumstances that have not been fully explained.

Therefore

'I therefore can't...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!