Big Red's big pay gap: $13,000 gulf between male and female Oracle staffers – reports

www.theregister.co.uk | 1/21/2019 | Staff
TitanSwimr (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2018/07/16/shutterstock_162698204.jpg

Oracle is under fire for allegedly paying women staffers $13,000 less on average than their male counterparts.

The figure was released on Friday, as part of a pay discrimination lawsuit filed against Big Red in the San Mateo County state court of California in 2017.

Filing - Case - Management - Conference - January

The latest filing, submitted ahead of a joint case management conference on 25 January, is an analysis of payroll data carried out by Professor David Neumark of UC Irvine.

This found that women were paid on average $13,000 less than men, even after controlling for various factors such as career level, performance review scores and office location, according to The Guardian.

Neumark - Probability - Discrepancy - Chance

Neumark is said to have claimed that the probability of the discrepancy happening by chance was less than one in a billion.

The analysis found that women made 13.2 per cent less in bonuses, and 33.1 per cent less in stock value.

Females - Cent - Less - Base - Salaries

Females also made 3.8 per cent less in base salaries on average than men in the same job categories. This discrepancy is partly due to Oracle's practice of using a staffer's prior pay to set starting rates. California banned this practice in October 2017 to crack down on discrimination.

The class-action complaint against Oracle hopes to represent the 4,200 female employees that have worked at the company since 2013 in IT, product development and support roles.

Plaintiffs - List - Marilyn - Clark - Colleague

Since it was first filed, two new plaintiffs have been added to the list. One of these, Marilyn Clark, alleged that she had discovered a colleague was making about $20,000 (22 per cent) more than her when she found a pay stub he had left behind in a common area.

"I just couldn't believe it. I was angry," she told The Guardian. "I felt like I had been punched in the gut."

Oracle - Calls - Gender - Equity - Stats

Oracle has regularly rejected calls for it to publish gender equity stats – stakeholder...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!