Meng Hongwei: Wife of ex-Interpol chief seeks France asylum

BBC News | 1/20/2019 | Staff
TwiztedGurl (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/1024x576/p06pdt2m.jpg

The wife of Meng Hongwei, the Interpol president held in China since September, has sought asylum in France for herself and her twin children.

Grace Meng and the seven-year-olds live in Lyon, the international police agency's headquarters. Meng Hongwei disappeared during a visit to China.

October - Authorities - Mr - Meng - Bribe-taking

In October the Chinese authorities said Mr Meng was being investigated over suspected bribe-taking.

His wife and children are under police protection, having received threats.

France - Inter - Radio - Friday

Quoted by France Inter radio on Friday, she said, "I fear they will kidnap me."

"I've received strange phone calls. Even my car was damaged. Two Chinese - a man and woman - followed me to the hotel," she said.

Media - Interviews - Face - Safety

In media interviews she has refused to show her face, fearing for her safety.

On the day her husband went missing, she said he had sent her a social media message telling her to "wait for my call", before sending a knife emoji, signifying danger.

Meng - Hongwei

What is known about Meng Hongwei?

Since his disappearance on 25 September no details have emerged about his prison conditions or the charges against him.

Job - Interpol - President - China

The 65-year-old's job as Interpol president was largely ceremonial and did not require him to return to China often.

He was also one of six powerful vice-ministers in China's public security ministry and had 40 years of experience in China's criminal justice system. He previously worked under security czar Zhou Yongkang, one of the most powerful figures to be taken down in President Xi's anti-corruption campaign that has targeted more than a million officials.

Detained...
(Excerpt) Read more at: BBC News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
An enemy of death and destruction