ASK FATHER: Do I have to sing at Mass?

wdtprs.com | 1/18/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
Refel_4309 (Posted by) Level 3

QUAERITUR:

My question is, what am I required to participate in vocally when attending the Novus Ordo Mass. Where I attend, we are prompted to participate in singing four songs, sometimes five, and they are only songs, not many worship worthy. Then at the Responsorial Psalm we are to participate in either singing or praying a phrase. I remember in the Extraordinary Mass, the only requirements were to adore, pray, and follow the Latin if we desired. Of course I now do pray and sing enthusiastically the Credo, Gloria, Sanctus, Agnus Dei, and Pater Noster. It just seems now I am being ushered continuously through the whole Mass, with private devotion and thanksgiving left for after.

Airplane - Phone

Right now I’m on an airplane typing on my phone. Forgive me if I am slightly telegraphic.

I am glad that you want to fulfill your role as a layman at Mass. As a baptized member of Christ’s mystical Body, when you speak and sing and move liturgically Christ the High Priest speaks, sings and moves in you. Christ the Head acts in the priest, Christ the Body in the congregation.

Impulse - Praying - Catholic - Responses - Appropriate

There is a strong impulse for the praying, liturgical Catholic, to make the responses, to rise, to kneel, when appropriate.

It seems to me that when it comes to hymns, which aren’t really liturgical texts, you can make your choices according to your...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: