2020 Coming: State of Play

Eidos | 1/18/2019 | Staff
abbycraig (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2016/11/Donald_J_opt.jpg

Some people wanted Trump, some people accepted Trump won, and some people never let Trump be thrust upon them.

That’s a nation in turmoil. The 2020 race will be all about the President, even if almost half the nation refuses to admit he is the President.

Rise - Brands - Donald - Trump - Candidate

In 2012 I suggested that the “rise of brands” meant that Donald Trump had to be taken seriously as a presidential candidate. I was right. In 2016, I took him seriously, but still did not think he would win. I was wrong.

Why?

People - Secretary - Clinton - Mr - Trump

People disliked Secretary Clinton (almost) as much as Mr. Trump and so a minority, but a majority in the electoral college, took a chance on Mr. Trump. In office, his judicial appointments and many of his policies confounded conservative critics by being just what he promised. As a result, the President solidified his base. That was important for 2020, though not enough against anyone more popular than Secretary Clinton, and almost everyone is more popular than Secretary Clinton.

President Trump has consistently polled at around forty-two percent approval with a small majority opposed to him. 2018 shows the polls are roughly accurate. The President is an underdog for reelection but not by any means a sure loser.

Why?

Some Republicans refused to vote for Mr. Trump in 2016. His good appointments to the Supreme Court, cuts in regulation, and other (frequently) mainstream governance practices have reduced this number. Nobody will be able to primary Mr. Trump successfully. Second, he has been fortunate in his opposition. The unending demonization of everything done by the administration, ignoring bipartisan support for prison reform or trade triumphs (like the renegotiated NAFTA), combined with over the top popular culture criticism has tuned out many Americans to administration problems. When “mainstream” media groups attack Mrs. Pence for working in a Christian school with the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Have you forgotten?
Tagged: