I used to be a dull John Doe. Thanks to Huawei, I'm now James Bond!

www.theregister.co.uk | 1/18/2019 | Staff
finter (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2016/12/21/james_bond_gun_gadget.jpg

Something for the Weekend, Sir? The name's McLeod. Alessandro McLeod. I am a spy for the secret services.

You must now be assuming I must be pretty rubbish at this secret agent thing if I'm telling you this here, rather like the way Kelvedon Hatch isn't terribly adept at being a secret nuclear bunker.

Secret - Services - China - Game - Behalf

Not to worry, I'm not spying for the British Secret Services anyway, I'm doing it for China. It turns out that it's really easy to do. As I understand it, all you need to get into the spying game on behalf of everyone's favourite inscrutable superpower is to own something with a Huawei logo on it.

How did I get into the spying game? Well, it was a case of accidental entrapment. More than a year ago, Huawei decided to release its Mate 9 series handset with a soft launch targeted at raising the brand's status in Western Europe via social media rather than bothering with the hated mainstream IT press. Unfortunately for them, however, Huawei accidentally added The Reg's Andrew Orlowski and me to the list of carefully selected online influencers (ie, friendless nobodies) when trying to fill empty seats in the auditorium.

Auditorium - Huawei - Idea - Launch - Blaggers

Yes, auditorium. Huawei's idea of a "soft launch" is to invite several thousand blaggers to an aircraft hangar-like conference centre in Munich to experience a spectacular light show, blaring music and acrobatic dancing girls as the company's Consumer business group CEO Yu Chengdong arrives onstage in a Porsche. Tim Cook he is not.

…which of course I never bothered to do because Huawei never got around to asking for its Mate 9 back. At the time, I got the impression the company lost interest in its Mate 9 series about 17 seconds after the Munich launch event ended, turning its focus already to its imminent replacement, the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I find it extremely funny when people keep voting and expecting the government to change!
Tagged: