MoviePass Debuts Confusing Three-Tier Pricing Structure As Parent Company Distances Itself From Service

The Playlist | 1/17/2019 | Charles Barfield
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Chloe-Director-of-Barketing-MoviePass.jpg

We are over half-way through with the first month of 2019, and to my surprise, MoviePass is still alive and kicking. Though it must be said, I’m using the most basic definition of alive in describing the subscription service, as it continues to struggle to find its footing and could implode at any moment. Alas, to the company’s credit, MoviePass is still here and with the new year, there comes new pricing and a divorce (of sorts) from the much-maligned parent company.

First, it’s important to note that I take no pleasure in discussing MoviePass again and again. Yes, I was burned in the past and do harbor a fair bit of resentment, but as someone that loves films and discussing them at length, it’s painful to have to report about a company that continuously seems to shoot itself in the foot and try to take advantage of folks. And that’s exactly what seems to be happening with this new pricing structure that the company hopes leads to profits and some sort of long-term viability.

Pricing - Structure - MoviePass - Hours - Features

The pricing structure that has been heavily advertised (I have received no less than three MoviePass emails about it in the last 24 hours, alone) features three separate plans. There’s a $9.95 plan for three movies a month, where you can only choose from the subscription services random assortment of six films each day. Then you have $14.95 a month, which allows a customer to see any three movies of their choice per month, as long as they are in 2D and not premium formats. And finally, for a mere $19.95 per month, you can choose any three movies, including one premium format (3D, IMAX, etc…).

Sounds reasonable and easy to follow, right? Well, not exactly.

Catch - Catch - Prices

You see, there’s a catch. There’s always a catch. The prices in the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Playlist
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Been there, done that, twice...