Gisele Bündchen fires back at minister who called her a 'bad Brazilian' for denouncing deforestation

Mail Online | 1/17/2019 | Megan Sheets For Dailymail.com;Associated Press
maye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/17/22/8668740-0-image-a-24_1547762775038.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/01/14/6689941041374840533/1024x576_MP4_6689941041374840533.mp4

Supermodel-turned-environmental activist Gisele Bündchen fired back after being called a 'bad Brazilian' by the country's Agriculture Minister, Tereza Cristina Dias.

Earlier this week Dias accused Bündchen of tainting the country's image abroad by denouncing deforestation.

Bündchen - Wednesday - Statement - Dias - Actions

Bündchen responded late Wednesday with a statement addressed to Dias saying she would 'be happy to announce positive actions' taken toward sustainable development.

She specifically cited a government report saying deforestation in Brazil rose nearly 14 percent from August 2017 to July 2018 and wrote that those behind illegal land occupation are the 'bad Brazilians'.

Statement - Portuguese - Twitter - Bündchen - 'It

In a statement written in Portuguese and posted on Twitter, Bündchen wrote: 'It surprised me to see my name mentioned in a negative way for defending and to demonstrate in favor of the environment, because since 2006 I have been supporting projects and getting involved with socio-environmental causes, what I have always done with a lot of responsibility.

'I am always seeking knowledge through readings and contacts with scientists, researchers, farmers, corporate and environmental organizations, so that, on this walk of mine, I could learn a lot and continue learning every day.

Production - Conservation - Hand - Hand - Side

She continued: 'I believe agricultural production and environmental conservation must go hand in hand together, side by side. Our development, prosperity and well-being depend on this balance and agriculture, which is so important to our country, also depends on the climate conditions appropriate for its growth.

'Brazil has everything to lead the movement for more sustainable, able to meet the needs of the current generation without compromising future generations. I hope to be able to publicize positive actions in this sense.

'We - Resources - Forests - Role - Balance

'We need to remember that natural resources are finite and forests have a fundamental role to play in the balance of the climate on Earth and, consequently, in our life. Preserving nature therefore means preserving life.'

Dias, a member of Brazil's...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!