Diplomat warns that tech industry has become a pawn as politicos fight dirty

www.theregister.co.uk | 1/17/2019 | Staff
marika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2017/07/26/asia_china_shutterstock.jpg

Oracle OpenWorld Technology and cyber security will be the "battle fronts" of global competition, and artificial intelligence will become crucial to the US-China trade war, a former UN official has said.

The view was, a very few short years ago that [social media firms] were better custodians of an individual's personal data than the government. Very quickly, that has reversed...

Oracle - London - OpenWorld - Event - Lord

Speaking at Oracle's London OpenWorld event, Lord Mark Malloch-Brown, who was UN deputy general secretary in 2006 and the CEO of the United Nations Development Programme from 1999-2005, set out how the tech industry would be affected by political disruption.

Malloch-Brown's talk took place the day after the British Parliament had rejected Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit deal, and he began by painting a thoroughly depressing view of the state of UK politics.

Businesses - Brands - Decades… - Moment - Carelessness

"In your businesses, you all think of what happens to brands that are built up over decades… in a moment of carelessness or a pattern of deceit," he said to the amassed techies.

"I'd suggest to you, Britain is in a brand crisis… Is it a rash, vile infection that will go away? I'd suggest not."

Takeaways - Presidency - Donald - Trump - Rogues

Equally bleak were his takeaways on the presidency of Donald Trump and what he described as a "rogues' gallery" of other world leaders, such as Vladimir Putin and Recep Erdoğan, and the increasing tension between China and the West.

In this context, Malloch-Brown said that technology and cyber security would be some of the main "battlefronts" of competition, as more developed economies fight to retain their position against quickly expanding economies.

Britain - Brand - Crisis - Rash - Infection

I'd suggest to you, Britain is in a brand crisis... Is it a rash, vile infection that will go away? I'd suggest not...

"Think tanks and policymakers in Washington see AI in a winner-takes-all competition between the US and China, where they have a view of technology where...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!