Having AI assistants ruling our future lives? That's so sad. Alexa play Despacito

www.theregister.co.uk | 1/17/2019 | Staff
iloveangie02 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2017/03/16/alexa_photo_via_shutterstock.jpg

Column At the annual spectacular of **** that we optimistically term the Consumer Electronics Show, I found myself locked into a room with Alexa.

And yes, disembodied AI servant though she may be, she still filled every corner of a rather spacious room with all of the various products now connected to and enabled by Alexa - everything from alarm clocks to refrigerators to automobiles to - kitchen taps?

Kohler - Konnect - Klever - Kitchen - Water

Yes. Kohler Konnect (klever) ties a connected kitchen water tap into Alexa, because... “Alexa, pour me 500ml of water.” That’s why. It’s less about activation than precise control - something easy for a smart faucet and much harder for a human. The Kohler Konnect is a kitchen robot of sorts, very good at doing exactly one thing - pouring out precisely the amount of water you need.

Is that enough to justify Alexifying a kitchen? Most of us dream of a world where kitchen appliances do most of the work. Sales of everything from dishwashers to mixer-****-cookers prove that we will spend big to fob off some of the burden to our machines. But it’s one thing to spread the load and another entirely to uplift the entire kitchen with Amazon’s distributed and increasingly powerful AI.

AI - Anything - Simpsons - Episode - Household

It’s not that AI is anything to be afraid of in itself. Despite that very funny Simpsons episode featuring a murderous household AI assistant voiced by Pierce Brosnan, prospects remain extremely low that an electric mixer will rise into sentience and go on the attack. The real concern has to be focused on a single channel of AI within the connected kitchen - and what that means for what our homes have already become.

A friend with many years in technology recently described his dark vision of this new world, where...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Conservatives are to the GOP what oil is to water, and the GOPe spend most of their time skimming it off or setting it on fire.