Now a 2020 candidate, Gillibrand builds campaign on gender

Mail Online | 1/17/2019 | Associated Press
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/16/21/8622044-0-image-a-38_1547675591078.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/01/15/2503613483491740394/1024x576_MP4_2503613483491740394.mp4

A day after she jumped into the presidential race from a glimmering Manhattan television studio, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand returned Wednesday to her upstate New York hometown to preview a campaign that is expected to put gender front and center.

Speaking outside a Troy diner she said is 'a stone's throw' from her family's house, Gillibrand framed the campaign as an extension of motherhood.

President - United - States - Mom - Children

'I'm going to run for president of the United States because as a young mom, I will fight for your children as hard as I would fight for my own,' Gillibrand, 52, said as she was joined by her husband, Jonathan, their 10- and 15-year-old sons, and her mother, Polly.

That argument could resonate in a Democratic primary in which women will be a crucial voting bloc and comes on the heels of a midterm election that sent a record number of women to Congress.

Gillibrand - Creation - Exploratory - Committee - Tuesday

But Gillibrand, who announced the creation of a presidential exploratory committee Tuesday on CBS' 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,' faces a series of hurdles.

She won't be the only woman seeking the White House - Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii have already jumped into the race, and several other prominent women are expected to soon follow them.

Questions - Years - Hillary - Clinton - White

And there are persistent questions about whether - more than two years after Hillary Clinton fell short of the White House - Americans have grappled with sexism and are willing to support another woman running for president.

The first question Gillibrand received at her press conference Wednesday showed the scrutiny she and other women could face, as a reporter said a lot of people see her as 'pretty likable.'

Remark - Debate - Women - Politics - Standard

The remark touched on a raging debate about why women in politics are held to a different standard than men regarding their perceived likeability.

First...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Individuals can exist without government but government can't exist without individuals.