Pensioner, 70, defends 'eyesore' DIY building work at second home

Mail Online | 1/17/2019 | Terri-ann Williams For Mailonline
hakimi308hakimi308 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/16/16/8609120-0-image-a-93_1547656531663.jpg

A DIY-obsessed pensioner has defended his 'eyesore' building work at a second home he wants to turn into a dream 'penthouse' after furious neighbours branded it a 'hillbilly place'.

John Cleave owns a number of properties in Northumberland and has been taking his time in creating his ideal home in one of the properties.

Lives - Property - Close - Town - Centre

The 70-year-old lives in a property close to the town centre in Blyth, but has a second property opposite, where he is carrying out building work to create his penthouse in the attic of a terrace row of houses.

However, other residents in the area have taken a disliking to John's constant building work and have said the property is bringing down the value of the homes around it.

John - Houses - Years - Printing - Company

John has been working on the houses for more than 15 years and one of them, which used to be a former printing company, had a mural painted on the side of the building showing his life story from a boy through to adulthood. It has the words 'B B But Babe you've ain't seen nothing yet.'

Clad with scaffolding, railings, planks of wood, piles of tiles, building gear and equipment, John, who is often seen pushing his shopping trolley piled high with his latest building bargains around Blyth, says he's proud of his work.

House - Penthouse - Opposite - Preparation - Floor

'I live in one house and I'm going to move into the penthouse opposite. It's in preparation of me moving into the flat on the top floor, while the ground floor and the first floor will be rented out or sold on.

'In Blyth I'm a legend, I'm sure over 3,000 pictures have been taken of these buildings. People are always looking at them.

'I - Work - Builder - Years - Public

'I do all the work myself, I've been a builder for 50 years. We have the public at heart and work as fast as possible. It's...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.