Fury as two pregnant seals are shot dead 'by anglers annoyed at them interfering with their fishing'

Mail Online | 1/16/2019 | Zoie O\
loranseen (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/16/12/8597424-0-image-a-13_1547640699427.jpg

Anglers are being hunted by furious animal lovers after two pregnant seals were shot dead.

Images of the soon to be mother seals have emerged as Essex boat owners attempt to find out who is behind the cruel killings.

Animals - Seals - Boatman - Tony - Haggis

Both animals, either common or grey seals, were found by boatman Tony Haggis, 67, washed up on the mudbanks of an backwater in Essex.

Mr Haggis said he believed they had been shot by anglers - though is no firm evidence as to how they came to be killed.

RSPCA - £3000 - Reward - Information - Conviction

The RSPCA is investigating and a £3000 reward has been offered for information which could lead to a conviction by ocean conservation charity Sea Shepherd.

Mr Haggis says he was left devastated after coming across the corpses of two female seals that were about five years old.

Mr - Haggis - Seals - Months - Time

When he looked closer, Mr Haggis noted both seals were around three months pregnant at the time of their deaths.

He said that entry and exit wounds showed the two animals had been shot with a.22 calibre rifle.

Bodies - Walton - Channel - Stretch - Backwater

He said he found bodies near the Walton Channel, a stretch of backwater which connects with the North Sea on the Essex coast, last Monday (Jan 7).

The area is populated by both grey and common seals.

Mr - Haggis - Wildlife - Company - Walton-on-the-Naze

Mr Haggis, who runs a wildlife touring company in Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex, said: 'I don't think the anger has properly come out of me yet.

'There is every chance they have shot at a few more and we haven't found the bodies.

Seals - Something

'People come here to see the seals, I could never dream of doing something like this.

'The first was five feet in length, I turned her over to examine her. She was fat and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!