‘Little Woods’ Trailer: Tessa Thompson and Lily James Are Sisters Caught in a Bad-to-Worse Situation

/Film | 1/15/2019 | Hoai-Tran Bui
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/little-woods-1.jpg

When rising filmmaker Nia DaCosta was announced as the director of the buzzy Jordan Peele-produced Candyman reboot, it might have been odd to some that she didn’t have one feature film under her belt. But she did, and it’s finally making its way to theaters. DaCosta’s dazzling directorial debut, Little Woods, a neo-Western starring Tessa Thompson and Lily James in powerful lead performances as two sisters in an economically depressed North Dakotan town who are on the verge of losing their mother’s home. See the first Little Woods trailer below.

Thompson stars as Ollie, a former drug runner attempting to start a new life when her sister Deb (James) goes to for help with her hungry child and unplanned pregnancy. Realizing that they can’t afford a pregnancy on top of the mortgage for their recently passed mother’s home, they hatch a scheme for Ollie to return to pushing pills in order to get enough money to get Deb an abortion and save their house.

Woods - Tribeca - Year - DaCosta - Nora

I saw Little Woods at Tribeca last year, where DaCosta won the 2018 Nora Ephron Award, and it shot to the top of the films I saw at the film festival. A haunting neo-Western that plays like a female-driven **** or High Water, I called Little Woods in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!