USC Scripter Awards Nominations Often Tip Adapted Screenplay Oscar Race

IndieWire | 2/9/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/LeaveNoTrace-1532124543.jpg

The USC Libraries has revealed the finalists for the 31st-annual USC Libraries Scripter Award, which honors the year’s best film and television adaptations, as well as the works on which they are based. This group of academics, industry professionals and critics (for which I vote) is often predictive of the Adapted Screenplay Oscar race.

Last year’s Scripter winners were “Call Me by Your Name” screenwriter James Ivory (who won the Oscar), and author André Aciman; past winners include “Moonlight,” “The Big Short” and “The Imitation Game,” which all won Oscars.

Finalist - Writers - Film - Adaptation - Order

The finalist writers for film adaptation (listed in alphabetical order by film title):

Screenwriters Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty and author Lee Israel for “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Screenwriter - Barry - Jenkins - Author - James

Screenwriter Barry Jenkins and author James Baldwin for “If Beale Street Could Talk”

Screenwriters Debra Granik and Anne Rosellini for “Leave No Trace” based on the novel “My Abandonment” by Peter Rock.

Tie - Nominating - Round - Writers - Television

Due to a tie in the nominating round, the writers of six television shows and their printed source material will vie for the Scripter Award this year.

The finalist writers for television (listed in alphabetical order by series title):

Tom - Rob - Smith - Episode - Man

Tom Rob Smith, for the episode “The Man Who Would Be Vogue” from “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story,” and author Maureen Orth for the nonfiction book “Vulgar Favors: Andrew Cunanan, Gianni Versace, and the Largest Failed Manhunt in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!