Spielberg’s ‘West Side Story’ Finds Its Maria; Listen to Her Crush “Shallow” From ‘A Star is Born’

/Film | 1/14/2019 | Ben Pearson
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/westwidestory-tony-maria-fireescapes.jpg

Steven Spielberg‘s West Side Story cast is slowly beginning to come into focus. The Beard already cast Baby Driver star Ansel Elgort as Tony, the male lead of his musical remake, and now Spielberg has found his young Maria. Rachel Zegler, a 17-year-old high school student, has locked down the female lead, and there’s no question she has the pipes to be able to pull off this role. Keep reading to see a video of her absolutely slaying a cover of “Shallow,” the Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper song from last year’s A Star is Born.

Maria was played by Natalie Wood in the 1961 movie and her singing voice was later dubbed by Marni Nixon for most of the musical numbers. But based on this video of Zegler totally destroying “Shallow,” it doesn’t seem like she’ll need any help at all in that area:

Someone

someone: you use autotune????

“I am so thrilled to be playing the iconic role of Maria alongside this amazing cast,” Zegler said. “West Side Story was the first musical I encountered with a Latina lead character. As a Colombian-American, I am humbled by the opportunity to play a role that means so...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!