NordicTrack's VR fitness bike wore me out at CES

CNET | 1/14/2019 | Scott Stein
marika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/kz8-bk2JjrvfxY4QUiPjV7B4pUY=/172x0:1767x1200/724x407/2019/01/14/3ad75945-f366-43e1-b7c1-e01c52ee8c9f/vr-bike-composite.jpg

I'll never forget riding a flying horse in VR while pedaling a bicycle and nearly wanting to throw up. That happened years ago when I tried VirZoom, a low-cost stationary bike that worked with fitness games and both mobile and console VR headsets.

VR and fitness biking can be a rough mix. NordicTrack aims to do Virzoom one better with a far fancier machine, the NordicTrack VR Bike, coming this summer. I got to play with it in Las Vegas during CES 2019.

Bike - HTC - Focus - Mobile - VR

The bike works with HTC's Vive Focus mobile VR headset, playing several VR games that will sync with the bike's various motion-control features. The VR bike bundle will cost $1,999, which is a lot more expensive than VirZoom. But the NordicTrack VR Bike also has a lot more features than the pretty basic VirZoom ever had. It also comes with a Vive Focus headset (around $599) and a one-year iFit Personal Trainer subscription with workout programs ($396), so the bike only technically costs about $1,000.

NordicTrack's VR bike has fans for creating a feeling of motion (and ventilation), and the handlebars double as a movable 8-axis yoke for extra flexibility, and are studded with all the necessary game controller-like buttons and triggers to play. It supports Bluetooth audio, connects to the iFit fitness platform, and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!