Making A Christian College Christian

Tim Challies | 1/14/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.challies.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Challies-1.png

This sponsored posted was written by Matthew J. Hall the dean of Boyce College, the undergraduate school of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (and, as it happens, the college my son attends). Boyce is committed to providing a biblical worldview for every student in every degree program. They’re expanding their degree offerings and just announced a new BS in Communication. To learn more about Boyce College, consider attending Preview Day on March 22. Use code Challies and they’ll waive your registration fee.

What should you look for in a Christian college? Common sense suggests you should know what kind of person you are, or aspire to be and look for the school that aligns with that. But I fear too many students are asking the question in the wrong way and they are looking at the wrong criteria when forming their assessments.

Experience - Campus - Community - Relationship - Vision

Instead, I suggest you look at your experience in a campus community as a symbiotic relationship, one where you should not only expect to receive but to give. That’s a profoundly Christian vision, not just for college, but for life. Are you actively looking for opportunities where you will be able to serve, to give of yourself for others? Those opportunities are everywhere if you know where to look and are asking the right questions.

Thankfully, there are many excellent options out there for young Christians who want to find a distinctly Christian college or university. Let me suggest three distinctives you should look for in measuring how seriously Christian an institution is.

School - College - Rigor - School - Education

Every school, including a Christian college, will rightly aim for academic rigor. And every school should understand that education is more than a commodity to be bought and sold, more than the mere transfer of information. But a Christian vision for education frames that aspiration within the broader formation of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Tim Challies
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: