As Trump Shutdown Drags On, Sen. Murray Urges Senate Republicans To Act In Best Interests of Families and Pass Bipartisan Legislation to Reopen All Federal Agencies

www.murray.senate.gov | 1/9/2019 | Staff
iVchan (Posted by) Level 3
Sen. Murray: “With each passing day, it’s clear just how much the Trump Shutdown is hurting families in every community in every state in this country. And no prime-time address or fear-mongering trip to the border is going to change that reality”

(Washington, D.C.) –U.S. Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) today spoke on the Senate floor to urge her Republican colleagues to work with Democrats to pass legislation that would end the Trump Shutdown and fully reopen the federal government. Right now, paychecks for hundreds of thousands of U.S. federal workers are frozen, while millions more Americans are increasingly affected by the federal agencies that can no longer carry out basic government functions. Senate Republican leaders have yet to bring up House-passed legislation for a vote, which, if passed, would send a bill to President Trump’s desk to reopen the government and end the unnecessary shutdown.

Speech - Sen - Murray - Urge - Colleagues

In her speech, Sen. Murray said, “…I urge my Republican colleagues, make it your priority to work to with us to fund our government and end this completely unnecessary crisis. This started out as a Trump Shutdown, but with every day that passes that the Republican Senate won’t act, Republican leaders take more and more ownership, along with every Republican Senator who supports them.”

Full remarks as prepared for delivery:

Floor - Today - Day - Trump - Shutdown

“I come to the floor today on what is now Day 19 of the Trump Shutdown – an epic presidential temper tantrum that forces the rest of us to once again, plead with the president to stop hurting the American families he promised to represent. This time, it’s because President Trump marched our country right into a government shutdown, paralyzing federal agencies and preventing them from carrying out the most basic government functions.

“And what does this president have to show for it? Eight hundred thousand hard-working Americans, some...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.murray.senate.gov
Wake Up To Breaking News!