Britons' use of passive-aggressive language and sarcasm is LOST on Americans, survey finds

Mail Online | 1/12/2019 | Faith Ridler For Mailonline
Matty123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/12/18/8441190-0-image-a-23_1547316320655.jpg

Americans often have trouble understanding Britons' use of sarcasm and passive-aggressive language, a survey has revealed.

Common expressions like 'I'll bear it in mind' and 'with the greatest respect' were shown to Britons and Americans by YouGov Omnibus last month.

Groups - Phrases - Difference - Comprehension

But when the two groups were asked how they interpreted the phrases - there was a stark difference in comprehension.

In fact, according to a Tweet by YouGov, 'half of Americans wouldn't be able to tell that a Briton is calling them an idiot'.

Variation - Phrase - Respect

The most significant variation came with the phrase 'with the greatest respect'.

Around 68 per cent of Britons believed it to mean 'I think you are an idiot' while 49 per cent of Americans interpreted it as 'I am listening to you.'

Discrepancy - Phrase

A similar discrepancy was revealed with the phrase 'I hear what you say'.

Around 48 per cent of 1,729 Brits quizzed thought the expression meant 'I disagree and do not want to discuss it further' - but 58 per cent of 1,952 Americans heard 'I accept your point of view'.

Sentence - Dinner

When shown the sentence 'you must come for dinner' more...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!