Steve King rejects 'evil ideology' of white supremacy after Republicans turn on him

Mail Online | 9/7/2018 | Geoff Earle, Deputy U.s. Political Editor For Dailymail.com
sheenabeanna (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/10/20/8373422-0-image-a-17_1547150939118.jpg

Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King issued a statement rejecting white nationalism Thursday after facing pressure from both inside and outside his own conference for his comments on the subject.

'White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?' King was quoted saying in the New York Times Thursday. 'Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?'

Comment - Blowback - Condemnation - House - Republicans

His comment drew immediate blowback, including condemnation from two fellow House Republicans.

The Iowa lawmaker responded in a statement Thursday where he went after the Times, which included the quote deep into a profile of King, and even invoked the Holocaust.

'Today - New - York - Times - Advocate

'Today, the New York Times is suggesting that I am an advocate for white nationalism and white supremacy. I want to make one thing abundantly clear; I reject those labels and the evil ideology that they define,' King said in the statement, which did not deny the accuracy of the quotation.

'Further, I condemn anyone that supports this evil and bigoted ideology which saw in its ultimate expression the systematic murder of 6 million innocent Jewish lives,' he said, bringing up the Holocaust.

Fathers - Advocate - Civilization - Values - America

King continued: 'It's true that like the Founding Fathers I am an advocate for Western Civilization's values, and that I profoundly believe that America is the greatest tangible expression of these ideals the World has ever seen. Under any fair political definition, I am simply a Nationalist,' he continued. 'America's values are expressed in our founding documents, they are attainable by everyone and we...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!