5 Actions a Counselor Can Take In-Between Meetings: The Counselor’s Homework

Biblical Counseling Coalition | 1/11/2019 | Bob Kellemen
Mkgirlz (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://biblicalcounselingcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BlogPic-11119.jpg

In biblical counseling, we often talk about the pastor/counselor collaborating with the counselee to develop “homework” assignments for the counselee. What can the counselee do in-between sessions to keep the change going?

However, we much less frequently discuss the counselor’s homework. What could we be doing in-between counseling meetings with a counselee in order to prepare for our next session with them? Here are five activities I engage in the week in-between meetings to prepare for an upcoming counseling meeting.

Philippians - Wisdom - Counseling - Counselees - Wisdom

I pray for Philippians 1:9-11 wisdom for our counseling and for my counselees: wisdom to discern what is best in their situation so that they can grow more like Christ and glorify Christ more.

I pray specific prayers based upon the previous and upcoming sessions. “Lord, please help Tammi and Eric to…”

Strength - Father - Logan - Word - Logan

I pray for strength from above. “Father, empower me and empower Logan to apply your Word to Logan’s life…”

#2: Ponder: Be Curious

Counseling - Session - Meetings - Themes - Patterns

I review my counseling notes—sometimes just the previous session and sometimes many or all of the preceding meetings. I especially seek to identify important themes and patterns. “What are the heart issues?” “What are the reoccurring relational struggles?”

Don’t think of this simply in “technocratic terms.” Instead, be curious. “Who is this person?” “What’s the key to his heart?” “What is the unique DNA of her soul as designed by God?” “How can unique-me best engage with and minister to unique-him?” “Who is God to this person—how do they see God and relate to Christ?” “How does this person see himself in Christ?”

Probe - Passages - Principles

#3: Probe Passages and Principles

As I pray for them and ponder patterns, I also probe biblical passages and theological concepts that relate to the issues we’ve been highlighting. I’m exploring the Scriptures for person-specific and situation-unique wisdom.

Principles - Couple

“What biblical principles most specifically apply to the couple I’m meeting...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Biblical Counseling Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!