‘State Like Sleep’ Star Michael Shannon Discusses Christopher Walken, Working With Rian Johnson on ‘Knives Out,’ and the 2018 Movie Everyone Should See

/Film | 1/10/2019 | Jack Giroux
hi09 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/Michael-Shannon-1.png

Michael Shannon is one of those actors that constantly reminds us there’s no such thing as small parts. No matter the size of the role, his presence will leave an impression, with his sole scene in Loving being one example. Every second matters when Shannon is on screen. The actor, who was last seen on AMC’s The Little Drummer Girl, now stars in Meredith Danluck‘s feature directorial debut, State Like Sleep, an intimate neo-noir with dreamlike sequences.

Katherine Waterston plays a photographer investigating the death of her husband, and during her journey of grief she crosses paths with Edward, her neighbor at a hotel. Because of the story’s unpredictable tone and genre elements, you’re not quite sure what to expect from Edward at the start, but there’s ultimately a surprising tenderness to his messy relationship with the lead character. Along with Waterston, Shannon makes the movie’s few moments of kindness very impactful.

Shannon - Experience - Waterston - Danluck - Addition

Recently, Shannon told us about his experience with Waterston and Danluck, in addition to the importance of naps, the apex of his career, a memory from Kangaroo Jack, and some details about Rian Johnson’s Knives Out.

There was quite a bit of time between when you shot State Like Sleep and when you finally saw it, so how was the experience seeing it completed? How are you about watching your work?

Deal - Meredith - Point-of-view - Katherine - Job

Well, I enjoyed watching this one a great deal, because I really like Meredith, her point-of-view, and what she has to say. I also really like Katherine, and I thought she did a great job in the movie. The cast is pretty strong. There’s so many scenes that are just so unusual, like, I had never seen something like that before, you know? This one is fun to watch, but it’d be hard to say in general. I mean, I’m not...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
How's that peak oil working out for you?