Saudi refugee who fled to Thailand claims to have been granted asylum in Australia

Mail Online | 1/11/2019 | Khaleda Rahman For Daily Mail Australia
marked (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/11/04/8388736-0-image-a-25_1547182698899.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/01/09/2106359267961779052/1024x576_MP4_2106359267961779052.mp4

A Saudi teenager who fled to Thailand fearing her family would kill her for renouncing Islam has claimed to have been granted asylum in Australia, saying: 'I am so happy, I will start a new life.'

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun made headlines earlier this week after she began tweeting from the transit area of Bangkok airport.

Kuwait - Life - Danger - Saudi - Arabia

The 18-year-old said she had escaped from Kuwait and that her life would be in danger if she were forced to return to Saudi Arabia.

Within hours, she amassed a huge following on Twitter as she refused to board a flight back the conservative kingdom and barricaded herself inside a hotel room.

Thai - Authorities - Country - Monday - Evening

Thai authorities allowed her to enter the country on Monday evening and the UN refugee agency referred Rahaf to Australia for consideration for refugee resettlement.

Yesterday Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne was in Bangkok after Canberra said it would consider giving asylum to the 18-year-old. Payne said there was no time-frame for the assessment of the case.

Interview - Daily - Mail - Australia - Rahaf

Now, in an exclusive interview with Daily Mail Australia, Rahaf has claimed her case has been successful - although the Australian government is yet to officially confirm this.

'They accepted me,' she said. 'I am so happy! I will start a new life.'

Bangkok

She added that she is not allowed to reveal where she is in Bangkok.

'I'm in a hotel, there is a policemen and guards for my safety,' she said.

Australia

She can't say when she will be departing for Australia, but said that it will be 'soon.'

She also doesn't know where exactly in the country she will be living.

Apartment - Rahaf

'They told me they gave me an apartment but I didn't ask where,' Rahaf added.

'It's just like for three months.' She described the past few days not knowing her fate as 'so hard.'

'I - Death - Fate

'I survived from death,' she said, adding she had narrowly avoided the fate...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!