Elac's Carina speaker shaping up to be designer Andrew Jones' next hit at CES 2019

CNET | 1/10/2019 | Ty Pendlebury
cyanbyte (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/roPmKbrZgMnuzd-dwWvaykn-FJQ=/724x407/2019/01/11/31633dda-c8fe-4083-9d91-6c4dcfa6bb2d/carina.jpg

Speaker designer Andrew Jones has unveiled his latest Elac series and it is the first to incorporate the company's iconic "Jet" folded tweeter. And based on my time with it, for such a small design it had a big, big sound.

The Carina series is the step-up from the excellent Uni-Fi range and consists of three products: the BS243.4 bookshelf ($1,200), the FS247.4 floorstander ($2,400) and the CC241.4 center channel ($TBC).

Jones - Designs - Challenge - Tweeter - Simpler

Jones is best known for his three-way concentric designs and told me that it was a challenge to try incorporating a tweeter he hadn't worked with before in a simpler two-way speaker (treble and mid/bass).

All of the speakers are based on 5.25-inch aluminum drivers and Jones told me he sourced a different folded tweeter from the one the company typically uses to keep costs down. The BS243.4 bookshelf features a bass reflex located on the bottom of the speaker and this in combination with the tweeter achieves a frequency range of 46Hz to 30kHz.

Jones - Demo - Speaker - Change - Tweeter

Jones treated me to a demo of the still-in-development speaker, and despite the change from a dome tweeter to the Jet, the design unmistakably bore his signature sound. It...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!