India’s Gandhi Rebuked For ‘Misogynistic’ Remarks Against Defense Minister

www.oann.com | 3/8/2018 | Staff
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
NEW DELHI (Reuters) – Indian opposition leader Rahul Gandhi has come under fire for “misogynistic” remarks when he asked Prime Minister Narendra Modi to “be a man” and not field a woman, the defense minister, to defend him in debates over a controversial fighter jet deal.

Gandhi, president of the Congress party, on Wednesday mocked Modi for staying away from parliament as it discussed accusations of corruption against the government in a deal to buy 36 Rafale planes from France’s Dassault Aviation and a decision to pick Reliance Defence as a domestic partner.

Government - Companies - Charges - Controversy - Rivalry

The government and the companies deny the charges, but the latest controversy has intensified rivalry between Congress and the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ahead of a general election due to be held by May.

Gandhi, the scion of the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty that has ruled India for decades, often calls Modi a “thief” while the prime minister addresses him as “privileged dynast” in most of his public speeches.

People - Court - Woman - Nirmala - Sitharaman

“He runs away from the people’s court and asks a woman, Nirmala Sitharaman ji, ‘defend me, I won’t be able to defend myself'”, Gandhi said at a public rally, referring to Modi and using a honorific for Sitharaman.

Gandhi’s comments drew widespread criticism on social media. Some people said Sitharaman – the second woman to run the defense ministry after the late Indira Gandhi, a former prime...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!