U.S. Supreme Court staying out of Kennedy cousin murder case

Boston Herald | 11/21/2013 | Laurel J. Sweet
joseph76 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.bostonherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Supreme_Court_Kennedy_Cousin_87094-1-e1546875627638.jpg?w=1024&h=602

The U.S. Supreme Court announced Monday it will not get involved in the state of Connecticut’s fight to reinstate Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel’s conviction for the 1975 murder of 15-year-old Martha Moxley in Greenwich.

The Connecticut Supreme Court vacated Skakel’s 2002 conviction and 20-to-life sentence last May and ordered he be entitled to a new trial on charges he beat Moxley to death with a golf club. The court found Skakel was deprived of his right to effective assistance of counsel because his attorneys did not investigate a potential alibi witness who could have helped his defense.

Skakel - Nephew - US - Sen - Robert

Skakel, 58, is the nephew of the late U.S. Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, brother of the late President John F. Kennedy.

Moxley’s mother, Dorthy Moxley, now 86, told the Herald although she’s “disappointed” by today’s high-court decision, she will continue to support Connecticut’s Office of the Chief State’s Attorney whether it chooses to retry Skakel or not. The office has already reached out to her, she said.

State - Connecticut - Ones - Moxley - Petition

“I’m disappointed for the state of Connecticut because they are the ones that wanted to pursue this,” Moxley said of the petition for writ of certiorari that SCOTUS denied.

“The state of Connecticut has been wonderful — wonderful to me and my son. They’ve done more than I ever thought they could,” she...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Boston Herald
Wake Up To Breaking News!