Woman, 65, dies of rabies after being bitten by a puppy in India

Mail Online | 5/21/2017 | Sam Blanchard Health Reporter For Mailonline
srqlolo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/08/08/8259982-0-image-a-7_1546937789918.jpg

A woman died of rabies after being bitten by a puppy while on a yoga retreat.

The bite on her hand began to cause pain and burning sensations six weeks later when, back home in Virginia, US, she went to hospital thinking she'd been poisoned.

Left - Breathless - 'claustrophobic - Hospital - Doctors

Left breathless and feeling 'claustrophobic' after being discharged from hospital, doctors thought she was suffering a panic attack and sent her home with medicine.

But her condition got quickly worse and, within days, she became aggressive, was left gasping for air and began to foam at the mouth.

Tests - Strain - Rabies - Dogs - India

Tests confirmed she had a strain of rabies found in dogs in India and medics sedated her with ketamine to reduce the risk of her spreading the virus to nurses.

Doctors tried 'aggressive treatment' but the married woman died on May 21, 2017, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed.

People - Rabies - US

She is one of just nine people to have died of rabies in the US since 2008.

CDC officials last week warned travellers to get vaccinated against rabies before going to countries where it spreads.

Rabies - Infection - People - Symptoms

Rabies, a viral infection, can be vaccinated against but is difficult to cure, and is almost always fatal if people show symptoms.

In its report the CDC said the rural nature of and 'community activities' involved in the woman's yoga holiday raised her risk of catching the virus.

Symptoms - Doctors - May - Days - Arm

Her early symptoms, seen by doctors on May 7, 2017, four days after her arm pain began, included breathlessness, anxiety, insomnia and struggling to swallow water.

'The patient expressed concern about exposure to a toxic substance,' the CDC report said.

Medication - Car - Car - Park - Hospital

She was given medication and discharged but, once in her car in the car park, she became claustrophobic and couldn't breathe so went back into the hospital.

This was believed to have...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!