YOU Knows You'll Root for Joe and Feel Bad About It – That's the Point

TVGuide.com | 1/7/2019 | Megan Vick
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2018/09/09/a1db8faf-eb3d-4fcd-8939-53be41e2581f/thumbnail/1300x867/f8ba320ee4a04aa002eb583f8b1bad18/180909-you-penn-badgley.jpg

There are a couple of things that happen when you watch the premiere episode of Lifetime's new thriller series YOU. First, if you are one of the insane people that don't have a lock on your phone in 2018, you'll fix that situation. Secondly, you'll find yourself questioning why you're simultaneously horrified by Joe (Penn Badgley) yet intrigued by his methods. Part of you might even want him to end up with the object of his stalker affection, Beck (Elizabeth Lail), and that should make you feel horrible. But don't worry, you're not alone.

The series is based on Caroline Kepnes' novel of the same name and YOU showrunner Sera Gamble wanted to bring the relation to Joe you feel in the book to the series.

Part - Fun - Book - Show - Moments

"Part of the fun of the book, and now the show, is that you may be surprised by some moments where you find yourself rooting for a character you know is doing bad things," Gamble told TV Guide at the Television Critics Summer Press Tour. "This, to me, is part of the brilliance of Caroline's book; is that she was very explicit about the things that Joe was doing. And yet, there were times that I found myself really rooting for the couple. I was sort of horrified at myself and then it caused me to really think about the kind of movies I grew up loving, the kind of love songs I grew up singing — the message that we give our boys and our girls is that certain things are romantic, that in actual life are illegal, and stalking, and not romantic. They're invasive."

Kepnes agrees that the power of her book and now...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: