Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/Cardinal_Philippe_Barbarin_arrives_in_court_Jan_7_2019_Credit_Jeff_PachoudAFPGetty_Images.jpg
Lyon, France, Jan 7, 2019 / 10:57 am (CNA/EWTN News).- French Cardinal Philippe Barbarin, archbishop of Lyon, begins trial Monday on charges of failing to report allegations that a priest in his diocese abused minor boy scouts from 1986-1991.
Barbarin and five other archdiocesan officials are all on trial in a case involving Fr. Bernard Preynat, who has been accused of abusing dozens of minors in the 1980s and early ‘90s.
Barbarin - Years - Prison - Fine - Reuters
If convicted, Barbarin could face three years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000, Reuters reports.
In 2017, the cardinal told Le Monde that he did not conceal allegations against Preynat, but said that his response to the allegations had been “inadequate.” He said he opened an investigation against Preynat after becoming aware of the allegations against him.
Allegations - Preynat - Prosecutors - Case - Year
Allegations against Preynat became public in 2015. Prosecutors dropped the case the following year after an initial investigation, but a victims group with more than 80 members saying they were abused by Preynat led to a reopening of the case, the Guardian reports.
Preynat was banned from leading boy scout groups in the early 1990s, but remained in ministry until being removed by Cardinal Barbarin in 2015.
Priest - Minors - Guardian - Trial - Year
The priest has acknowledged abusing minors, according to the Guardian, and will face trial later this year.
Cardinal Luis Francisco Ladaria Ferrer, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, was also ordered to testify in the case. In October, the Vatican invoked diplomatic immunity in refusing to deliver a French court summons to Ladaria, saying that as a minister of...
Wake Up To Breaking News!