Maximus' new video doorbell uses two cameras to watch for packages

CNET | 1/6/2019 | Ry Crist
amyc9948 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/vIXWkqHTyz83wfrVCyd1Q92_sLQ=/724x407/2019/01/05/787f861e-9f5a-414e-a3c4-90c462b09c43/maximus-answer-promo.jpg

The Maximus Answer is a video doorbell with a second, downward-facing camera that keeps an eye out for packages at your doorstep.

We're expecting to see all sorts of new products that want to wire a camera into your home at CES 2019 here in Las Vegas. Today, a new product from a home security company called Maximus has an idea on how to stand out: Wire two cameras into your home.

Cliches - Restraint

I'll spare you the obvious "double down" cliches. I don't always show such restraint.

The product is the Maximus Answer DualCam Video Doorbell, and it'll cost $199 when it arrives in the US in the second quarter of the year. As the name suggests, it's a video doorbell with two motion-sensing, 1080p HDR cameras in it. One faces forward like usual -- the other angles down to give you a fuller view of who's at your door, or to let you see if there's a package waiting for you. Maximus calls it the first smart doorbell to feature a dual-camera design, and unless I'm missing one, I think that's right.

Idea - Fear - Package - Theft - Motivator

I also think it sounds like a pretty good idea. Fear of package theft is a common motivator for video doorbell sales, and the second, downward-facing camera leans right into that part of the pitch. Beyond that, some people simply have a habit of constantly checking and rechecking to see if a package they're expecting has arrived. With a feed that's viewable on your phone, the Answer's extra camera might help scratch that itch.

Beyond the two cameras, the Maximus Answer includes a built-in, echo-cancelling microphone and speaker for remote, two-way talk with anyone at your door. When they ring the bell, you'll get a notification on your phone that you can open to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!