Trump to Congressional Leaders: Come Back on Friday; McCarthy Urges 'Compromise'

CNS News | 1/3/2019 | Staff
tanikaki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/capture-mccarthy-scalise_0.jpg

(CNSNews.com) - President Donald Trump has asked congressional leaders to return to the White House on Friday, after the House and Senate leadership races are over, to try once again to end the impasse over border wall funding.

At the White House on Wednesday, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen tried to brief congressional leaders on the national security problems at the border, but Democrats Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi refused to hear her out:

Side - House - Majority - Leader - Kevin

"I was a little disappointed with, I would say, some on the other side," House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) told reporters after the attempted White House briefing. "Once the secretary started, Sen. Schumer interrupted her, they really didn't want to hear it. They challenged some of the points the secretary made."

McCarthy said President Trump decided to delay the negotiations until Friday, when people might be "more willing to come to an agreement."

McCarthy - Impasse - Border - Wall - Funding

McCarthy said the impasse over border wall funding that has partially shut down the government doesn't have to last long at all:

"I think we can come to an agreement rather quickly," he said.

Caravan - Third - Women - Children - Challenges

Do you know in this caravan, one third of all the women...some are being raped, some are being violently treated. We have children that have challenges coming through; we have another caravan starting to come. We have a real challenge.

And I think that's why both sides can sit own, find a compromise that actually secures the border.

Everybody - Room - Secure - Border - Combination

We had -- everybody in the room said they wanted to have a secure border. So maybe we work a combination to make it solved. And I think that's why the president -- I watched him in there stay very calm throughout the entire discussion -- he wanted to get the latest statistics going forward.

And that is why we'll be back on Friday. We want to make sure...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!