On the Third Day of Christmas, CAPC Gave to Me: Three Memes a-Meme-ing

Christ and Pop Culture | 12/27/2018 | Luke T. Harrington
Click For Photo: https://christandpopculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/day-3.png

For each day of Twelvetide, Christ and Pop Culture writers will point to some of the cultural goodness that gives hope in the midst of life’s messyness. It’s our version of the “Twelve Days of Christmas” song, filled with things our writers have found to be life-giving. Some entries are 2018 artifacts, some are from years past. All of them point us to hope.

It’s been two and a half years since I “retired” as the internet culture critic for this site, and in that short amount of time the internet has become an ever-increasingly ugly place. Sometime in 2016, someone (apparently) threw the switch, and “yelling at strangers about stupid stuff” stopped being a way to blow off steam and became literally the only thing we do online (and also offline). I’ve found myself spending less time online and more time reading books lately, so I guess I have the internet to thank for turning me into a big nerd, on top of everything else (BUY MY BOOK).

Case - Chopper - Meme - Truth - Seriousness

In each case, the [American Chopper] meme illuminated the same underlying truth: the seriousness of the things we argue about is rarely reflected in the quality of our discourse—also, throwing chairs is fun.Every once in a while, though, the internet still manages to make me laugh, and even to provide a bit of clarity to (semi-) important issues. Here are a few memes that rose to prominence this year that I hope don’t go overlooked:

I can honestly say that I’ve never watched an episode of American Chopper, but the series of stills from the show that exploded on Twitter this year confirm everything I assumed to be true about cable reality TV: It’s a bunch of people throwing furniture and yelling about stuff, at the behest of corporate execs, because that sort of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Christ and Pop Culture
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Nie wieder, unelected bureaucrat's running our country