12-step program for 'tech addicts': Young people turn to AA-style meetings to reclaim their lives

Mail Online | 12/26/2018 | Associated Press
TimHyuga (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/12/26/15/wire-7837892-1545837130-95_636x382.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/06/11/3303674009293994011/1024x576_MP4_3303674009293994011.mp4

The young men sit in chairs in a circle in a small meeting room in suburban Seattle and introduce themselves before they speak. It is much like any other 12-step meeting - but with a twist.

'Hi, my name is,' each begins. Then something like, 'and I'm an internet and tech addict.'

Level - Obsession - Phones - App - Show

The eight who've gathered here are beset by a level of tech obsession that's different than it is for those of us who like to say we're addicted to our phones or an app or some new show on a streaming video service.

For them, tech gets in the way of daily functioning and self-care.

Flunk-your-classes - Kinds - Problems - Depression - Anxiety

We're talking flunk-your-classes, can't-find-a-job, live-in-a-dark-hole kinds of problems, with depression, anxiety and sometimes suicidal thoughts part of the mix.

There's Christian, a 20-year-old college student from Wyoming who has a traumatic brain injury.

Mom - Help - Depression - Games - Marijuana

His mom urged him to seek help because he was 'medicating' his depression with video games and marijuana.

Seth, a 28-year-old from Minnesota, used video games and any number of things to try to numb his shame after a car he was driving crashed, seriously injuring his brother.

Wes - Eagle - Scout - College - Student

Wes, 21, an Eagle Scout and college student from Michigan, played video games 80 hours a week, only stopping to eat every two to three days.

He lost 25 pounds and failed his classes.

Town - Man - Meeting - Work - Schedule

Across town there is another young man who attended this meeting, before his work schedule changed - and his work places him squarely at risk of temptation.

He does cloud maintenance for a suburban Seattle tech company.

Tech - Addict - Lion - Den - Industry

For a self-described tech addict, this is like working in the lion's den, laboring for the very industry that peddles the games, videos and other online content that long has been his vice.

'I'm like an alcoholic working at a bar,' the 27-year-old laments.

Drugs

'The drugs of old are now repackaged....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators may not be able to differentiate between you.