8 House Republicans Join All Dems in Voting Against Wall Funding After Trump Urges 'Steel Slats'

CNS News | 12/21/2018 | Staff
xxlauzyxx (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/capitol-dusk-getty-drew_angerer.jpg

(CNSNews.com) – Eight House Republicans voted no Thursday night on a short-term funding bill that includes $5.7 billion for President Trump's long-promised border wall.

They are: Justin Amash (Mich.), Ken Buck (Colo.), Carlos Curbelo (Fla.), Will Hurd (Texas), Erik Paulsen (Calif.), Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (Fla.), Fred Upton (Mich.) and David Valadao (Calif.).

Bill - House - Vote - Senate - Passage

The bill ended up passing the House on a vote of 217-185, and it now goes to the Senate where passage is in doubt.

If the House and Senate can't agree on legislation by midnight tonight, a partial government shutdown will result.

Nay - Republicans - Reasons - CR

Some of the "nay" Republicans explained their reasons for voting against the C.R.:

"There will be a vote tonight on an appropriations bill known as a continuing resolution, or CR, to spend hundreds of billions of dollars and fund unconstitutional programs. The government will continue to grow recklessly and burden future generations. I’ll be voting no," Rep. Amash said.

Tweet - Amash - Spending - Bill—stuffed - Wall

In a second tweet, Amash wrote: "This massive, wasteful spending bill—stuffed with unrelated items—passed 217-185. It’s amazing how some wall funding causes my fellow Republicans to embrace big government. Watch out if Democrats attach wall funding to Medicare for All. The bill could be called Medicare for Wall."

Rep. Will Hurd told CNN on Thursday morning he opposes funding for Trump's wall:

Concrete - Structure - Sea - Sea - Way

"Building a 30-foot high concrete structure from sea to shining sea is the most expensive and least effective way to do border security," Hurd said. "I represent 820 miles of border, more border than any other member of Congress. I spent almost a decade as an undercover officer in the CIA chasing bad guys all over the world. In places along the border, Border Patrol's response time is measured in hours to days. So a wall is actually not a physical barrier.

"We -- if we want to address root causes of illegal immigration we...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!