IN MEMORIAM: ELLSWORTH WAREHAM, 104, WAS “BLUE ZONE” PIONEER AND CARDIOTHORACIC SURGEON

spectrummagazine.org | 12/19/2018 | Staff
LOMA LINDA, CA — December 18, 2018 — Ellsworth Wareham, MD, known at the end of his life as much for his vegan-supported longevity as his distinguished surgical career that included the first open-heart surgeries in many countries, died Saturday, Dec. 15 at the age of 104.

An ebullient and active centenarian, Wareham — a 1942 surgical graduate of Loma Linda University, then known as the College of Medical Evangelists — gained global fame through numerous media outlets in his later years for being the epitome of a “Blue Zone” resident, someone who lives in one of the healthiest parts of the world.

Article - National - Geographic - Wareham - Adventist

According to a 2008 article in National Geographic, Wareham epitomized the Seventh-day Adventist lifestyle of a vegan diet, exercise and faith in God, all of which the physician cited as reasons for his longevity.

“I think it's important for an individual to have some security and peace in his life,” Wareham told Dr. Mehmet Oz, at the time a contributor to Oprah Winfrey’s television program, in 2008. “And I get that from believing in a loving, caring God, you see. And so if He's in charge of my life, why sit around and worry? I mean, He takes care of the universe, He can certainly take care of me, so I don't worry.”

Career - Wareham - Operations - Surgeons - Mid

During his medical career, Wareham performed more than 12,000 operations and continued to assist and observe younger surgeons until he was in his mid 90s. At 100, he drove and continued to do his own gardening and lawn maintenance, and lived in the two-story house he and his wife of 68 years, Barbara, shared.

Perhaps his greatest medical accomplishment came in the early 1960s, when the American administration of President John F. Kennedy was trying to improve relations with many nations, including Pakistan. A visit there by then-Vice...
(Excerpt) Read more at: spectrummagazine.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Hell sometimes looks an awful lot like an office cubicle.