Beau Solomon: Remembrances of American College Student and Cancer Survivor Murdered in Italy

PEOPLE.com | 7/5/2016 | Staff
Caris (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2016/news/160704/beau-solomon-800.jpg

Beau Solomon's friends are struggling to wrap their minds around what happened to the 20-year-old University of Wisconsin student whose remains were found in Rome's Tiber River Monday morning – four days after the cancer survivor went missing after arriving in Italy for a study-abroad program hours before.

"I can't even begin to grasp that you're gone," writes Rowan McDonnell, one of Solomon's closest friends, in a Facebook posting. "I've never met a person that has been so life changing. The greatest friend that anyone could ask for and I am lucky to have been able to call you my best friend."

Authorities - Solomon - Capital - Thursday - Evening

Authorities say Solomon arrived in the Italian capital Thursday evening and spent much of the evening carousing with friends at a nearby bar.

On Friday, Solomon's roommate at John Cabot University, a small liberal arts college popular with American students at which Solomon was about to study abroad, reported him missing after he failed to materialize for an orientation program.

Monday - Hours - Solomon - Body - Police

On Monday, hours after locating Solomon's body, Italian police detained a homeless man they've since identified as 40-year-old Massimo Galioto, and are holding him on suspicion of aggravated homicide for futile motives.

"You were someone that lit up a room and brought so much happiness to everyone that surrounded you," wrote McDonnell, who did not respond to PEOPLE's requests for an interview. "It hurts to say goodbye to someone that was a son, a brother, or a friend to so many. Though I don't know why God decided to take you away so early, I do know that I'll see you again and I'm waiting for that day."

Statement - Solomon - School - District - School

A statement issued by Solomon's former school district called the former high school football star "an engaged student who made a meaningful impact."

• Want to keep up with the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!