‘Bumblebee’ Producer Lorenzo DiBonaventura on How the New Film Honors Generation 1 Transformers [Interview]

/Film | 12/18/2018 | Fred Topel
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/Bumblebee-Trailer.jpg

Since leaving Warner Brothers as President of Worldwide Production, producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventure has launched several franchises. The longest running has been the Transformers movies, but he’s also been responsible for G.I. Joe, Red and the upcoming Die Hard prequel, McClane.

Bumblebee is the sixth film in the Transformers series, but it’s the first not directed by Michael Bay and it’s a spinoff that takes place in 1987. When Bumblebee first comes to Earth after the Cybertron wars, he meets 18-year-old Charlie (Hailee Steinfeld) and becomes her first car. Kubo and the Two Strings director Travis Knight is behind the camera this time..

Di - Bonaventura - /Film - Bumblebee - State

Di Bonaventura spoke with /Film about Bumblebee, the state of the Transformers franchise, and his upcoming projects. Bumblebee is in theaters this Friday.

I, like a lot of fans, loved Bumblebee fighting Nazis in World War II. Do we have to ignore that if he only arrived on Earth in 1987?

Things - Question - Fans - Things - Part

Well, listen, there’s a couple things in that question. One if the fans really were asking us to do things differently. Part of the reason of going back in time was we wanted to try to delink, if you would, what we’d done before. World War II was the one thing we couldn’t figure out. It doesn’t mean he couldn’t have been here.

Were you able to find a box of Mr. T cereal or did your production designer have to make it?

Laughs - Answer

[Laughs] I don’t know the answer to that actually but I thought it was really funny.

I’m sure I ate that.

Doubt

I have no doubt. We all did.

So why was 1987 the year you decided on?

Part - Way - Start - Movies - Sense

Well, it was in part because 1986 in a way is a start, if you would, of the movies. In a sense we wanted to do two things. One was honor the beginning and also honor...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!