The rockstar hackers protecting you from the bad guys

CNET | 12/10/2018 | Mark Serrels
Cayley1561 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/x-0Diu6ka_w4xOt7vxWJp1akqY8=/724x407/2018/12/06/10bb96ac-9d8e-475d-9d98-550f5634cd0c/bugcrowd-sydney-2018-82.jpg

Inti De Ceukelaire once hacked Metallica.

He didn't have a good reason, or malicious intent. He was just a Metallica fan. He always wanted to play in a band but didn't have, as he puts it, "music skills."

Skills

"But I had hacking skills."

De Ceukelaire hacked Metallica for the attention. That's it. He had no intention of holding the band ransom. When I ask De Ceukelaire how he did it, or even what he means when he says "I hacked Metallica," he won't tell me. I have to take his word for it. Telling me, he believes, will expose Metallica to other potential hacks. If the bad guys find that vulnerability, Metallica might be in trouble.

De - Ceukelaire - Guys

Fortunately, De Ceukelaire is one of the good guys.

De Ceukelaire is a white-hat hacker, a maestro using his deep knowledge of online security to hack companies for a living. He spends his days (and nights) on the hunt for potential vulnerabilities in websites, services, anything you can name. And, thanks to "bug bounties," he gets paid handsomely for his efforts.

Bug - Number - Tech - Companies - Google

Bug bounties: A significant number of large tech companies have them. Google has them, Apple has them, Facebook started its program in April. Rewards for hackers. If you find a vulnerability, or a potential exploit on a service or website and you bring it to the company's attention, you'll be financially rewarded for your efforts. Some can make six figures a year from such hacking.This is the Wild West and hackers are the cowboys.

But in 2018, De Ceukelaire is more like a rockstar.

De - Ceukelaire - Metallica - Something - Exploit

De Ceukelaire didn't get paid for hacking Metallica, he got something far more valuable. After finding the exploit, he emailed the band, scared shitless ("They could've sued me and sent me to jail for the rest of my life").

Almost immediately, he received a response. A good...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Would you let a person who could only get a government job run your life? Well don't!