IFFAM: Erik Matti Hatches Plans for ‘On The Job’ Franchise

Variety | 6/12/2019 | Naman Ramachandran
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/buybust-1600x900-c-default.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Filipino director Erik Matti is known for his eclectic body of work that includes “Honor Thy Father” and “Seklusyon.” His 2013 effort, “On The Job” travelled widely and won several awards including two at the Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival, and was nominated for an SACD Prize at the Cannes Directors’ Fortnight.

Matti is at the International Film Festival and Awards Macao this week with the action thriller “BuyBust” that is showing in the festival’s Flying Daggers strand. The film has shown in Bucheon, Fantasia and the Berlin Fanstasy Filmfest.

Life - Events - Job - Prisoners - Contract

Inspired by real life events, “On The Job” focused on prisoners who are temporarily released to act as contract killers on behalf of powerful people. The film is now part of a rapidly expanding franchise.

“On The Job 2” is currently filming and is due to complete principal photography by February, with a view to releasing it in the Philippines on June 12, 2019, the country’s independence day. This will be followed by a five-part series.

Scale - Story - Matti - Hour - Version

Because of the scale of the story, Matti is also considering making a four hour condensed version that incorporates both the original film and the TV series. “That would be a feat,” Matti told Variety. “And I don’t know if we can do something with it theatrically or in festivals.”

Between his festival appearance in Macau and shooting the series, Matti is simultaneously working on two small horror films. One will be done by February 2019 and the other completed by April.

Bit - Trepidation - Film - Matti - Lot

“Honestly, I had a bit of trepidation while we were completing the film,” says Matti. “Before starting, I viewed a lot of Asian action films to make sure that we do something uniquely Filipino. We are not a martial arts action movie. Yes, we have characters that know martial arts because of their training as soldiers but as...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Individuals can exist without government but government can't exist without individuals.