Embracing Imperfect This Christmas

(in)courage | 12/10/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/12102018_ReneeSwope_ImperfectConditions-1200x858.jpg

I caught myself whispering an unrealistic secret to my heart, “Maybe this will be the year everything goes as planned, and we’ll have the perfect Christmas.” Perfect is what I’d always wanted for Christmas, but in all my years of living, I’ve never been able to pull it off.

Perfect looks like peace on earth and in my home for twenty-four hours. A Christmas where everyone is happy and peaceful, loving and kind. No disappointments. No arguments. No debates. Everybody is all about Jesus and loving each other — for a whole day. Sounds like heaven on earth, doesn’t it?

Christmas - Gifts - Menu - Everyone - Favorites

Maybe you’ve longed for the perfect Christmas, too. Maybe you’ve shopped for perfect gifts. Planned the perfect menu with everyone’s favorites. And worn yourself out creating the perfect space where your people will gather and you’ll hold your breath hoping nothing goes wrong.

Or maybe you’re not a recovering perfectionist and wonder if I need counseling. I do, and prayer — may I come to your house for Christmas?

Years - Everything - Front - Imperfect

Honestly, some years I’ve gotten so focused on wanting everything to go just so that I missed what was right in front of me, and I’ve forgotten just how beautiful imperfect can be.

But then one day it dawned on me: Jesus was the most perfect Gift ever given, yet He was given to us under the most imperfect conditions, just like God planned.

Christmas - Request - Perfect - Year

Last Christmas, I canceled my request for perfect, and this year, I’m doing it again.

I’m actually anticipating a messy, slightly chaotic and perfectly imperfect Christmas just like the one in Bethlehem. Perfect is not what my family or friends need from me. What they need is for me to be present in each moment.

Efforts

What if we traded in our efforts to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!