George H.W. Bush Was a Steward of Stability

Townhall | 12/5/2018 | Staff
ziggy1023 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.townhall.com/townhall/reu/s1280x720/2018/114/361db457-aea2-4381-8ea1-a0d865b1604c.jpg

Miseducated or Stupid?

There are a few movie scenes guaranteed to put a lump in my throat every time. Near the top of the list is the end of "Saving Private Ryan," Steven Spielberg's World War II masterpiece.

Battle - Scene - Capt - Miller - Tom

Earlier, in a climactic battle scene, a dying Capt. Miller (Tom Hanks) tells Pvt. Ryan (Matt Damon) to "earn this, earn it." Translation: Live a life worthy of the sacrifice so many made for you.

In the final scene, decades later, an elderly Ryan visits Miller's grave in Normandy, France, and tells the headstone that he's remembered Miller's plea every day since. "I hope that at least in your eyes, I've earned what all of you have done for me." He then turns to his wife and beseeches her, "Tell me I'm a good man."

Scene - News - George - HW - Bush

The scene keeps coming to mind since the news of George H.W. Bush's death at the age of 94.

Bush, who enlisted right after high school, was at one time the youngest Navy pilot in World War II. He was shot down, losing comrades in the process.

Experience - Arkansas - Governor - Draft - Journalists

He didn't like to talk about the experience. Even when it would have helped him politically, as when he was running against an Arkansas governor who assiduously avoided the draft, or when elite journalists described him as a "wimp." Bush told his speechwriters to leave out the details of his own war stories, partly because he didn't want to seem boastful, but mostly because he didn't want to cry.

Bush was surely a good man before he enlisted, but he spent the rest of his life as if he were trying to earn the sacrifice others made.

Author - David - Brooks - Lot - Differences

The author David Brooks has written a lot about the differences between "resume virtues" and "eulogy virtues." The former is what you put on your professional bio, LinkedIn page or CV;...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Townhall
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It just doesn't get bettere than this...