Supporters say Hurricane Florence showed the need for I-73, not everyone agrees

WBTW | 11/15/2018 | Nexstar Broadcasting
Refel_4309 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.wbtw.com/nxs-wbtwtv-media-us-east-1/photo/2018/11/15/Effort_to_build_SC_leg_of_I_73_continues_1_62334904_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) - A quarter of a century later, local, state, and federal leaders still work to build Interstate 73. It would be the Grand Strand area's first interstate.

I-73 would run from Michigan to Myrtle Beach. Now after Hurricane Florence, there's even more urgency, among some, to complete the project.

Hurricane - Florence - South - Carolina - Coast

As Hurricane Florence approached the South Carolina coast in September, so did the call for evacuations. "If any of your listeners or viewers were stuck on Highway 501 or Highway 9 or Highway 17 trying to dodge this storm and get their family to safety they understand how important it is to have good ingress and egress," said S.C. District 107 Rep. Alan Clemmons of Myrtle Beach.

The storm dumped more than a foot of rain across our part of the Carolinas. Subsequent flooding followed, forcing SCDOT crews to build enormous barriers along Highway 501 in Conway and on Hwy 17 in Georgetown County to keep main roads from flooding.

US - Rep - Tom - Rice - R

U.S. Rep. Tom Rice (R), of Myrtle Beach, said " From the Waccamaw River to the North Carolina line to Georgetown, to the ocean and the 250,000 people who live there, and they were trapped. If the roads are shut down, you can't get food, you can't get water, you can't get medical supplies, you can't get building supplies. It was a very scary situation."

Rice asked for money in the federal disaster relief package to fund I-73. That concerned many, but Rice says the money for I-73 will be in addition to the money homeowners, farmers, and business owners will receive. And, when President Trump visited Conway after the storm, Rice and other Horry County leaders asked the president then for help getting federal dollars to fund the project.

Relief - Package

"If we don't get it [funding] in the relief package, which...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WBTW
Wake Up To Breaking News!